Do you need an appointment with your GP?
Try Self- Care
So, what is self-care?
Self-care is the practice of people taking action to preserve or improve their own health.
Why should I self-care?
There are lots of benefits to self-care, these include;
- It is quicker – there is no need to wait for an appointment here at your GP, you can get advice on minor illnesses online or from your local pharmacy.
- It is easier – you can ask at the pharmacy for the best treatment for you, which can then be bought at your local pharmacy or supermarket to use at home.
- It is simple – you can get advice on self-care from a variety of sources, either from websites (some useful links are listed below) or from your pharmacy.
- It is considerate – using self-care relieves pressure faced by NHS services e.g. GP Practices and A&E. Treating minor illnesses allows our GP’s to see patients with more serious medical needs.
Did you know your pharmacy can give you advice on these conditions?
- Sore Throat
- Cold sores
- Dry eyes
- Nappy Rash
- Dental Pain
- Dry skin
- Head Lice
- Insect Bites
Pharmacists are trained professionals and are often the best people to see in these instances, most pharmacies will have a private consultation room where they can offer you confidential advice.
Places to go for advice on self-care;
There is a lot on information to support self-care and help you to manage minor illnesses. Below is a list of the top suggestions from NHS Stay Well Derbyshire;
- NHS Choices – this website contains a health A-Z, giving you a guide to conditions, treatments and symptoms. This will advise you on what to do and when/ where you should get help if needed.
- NHS Stay Well Derbyshire – this service supports the people of Derbyshire to become self-care aware. The website has a lot of self-care leaflets for specific minor illnesses e.g. Acne, strains and sprains, colds and much more!
- Livewell Derby – Livewell offer support and advice on their website on how to lead a healthier lifestyle, they have free 12 month programmes designed to give you individual and group support in addition to fun exercise groups.
- One You – this website is there to support you to become fitter and healthier by offering free tips, tools and support on a range of things such as eating healthy or checking yourself.
- Live Life Better Derbyshire – offering you advice on how to lead a healthier lifestyle with information on losing weight, stopping smoking, being active and much more!
- Self Care Forum – this forum gives advice on how you can self care at home, and self care for healthy living.
- HANDi App – this is a free app that can offer advice to parents and carers when looking after children with common childhood illnesses.
New NHS 111 Online…
NHS 111 have a new web service (https://111.nhs.uk/) that works similarly to the NHS 111 phone service. If you have an urgent health concern you can visit the website where you will be asked questions about your symptoms, based on your answers the service will tell you what the best course of action is. E.g. you may be given advice on self care, or told to visit a service.
111 Online is free, quick and easy-to-use, taking half the time it would to call NHS 111. The online service is also available 24/7, so you can use 111 online at any time!
How do I book an appointment at Dr Purnell & Partners?
You can use our online services to book appointments at Dr Purnell & Partners.
Alternatively, you can ring our reception team on 0115 9322968.